Once the proud capital of the British Raj, Kolkata is deeply evocative of an era and sensibility lost in time. Established as the trading post for the East India Company on the banks of the Hooghly River by Job Charnock in 1690, it grew to be the biggest colonial trade center in Asia, earning it the name "Jewel of the East."
Kolkata is city of culture and history, with more than two centuries worth of memories packed in the chaotic place. The former capital of the British Empire in India, the city has seen people from a myriad range of cultures and countries. From the British themselves, to the Dutch, to the French, to the Iranians, to the Chinese, and the even people from Central Asia, everybody came to this cultural, political, and economic hub looking sometimes for riches, sometimes for freedom, and some simply in the search for a new life. And all this has made it a uniquely placed city, with some historical places in Kolkata having special resonance. Let’s find out which are some of the most unique places to visit in Kolkata, with historical relevance:What is Kolkata famous for?
Kolkata, formerly known as Calcutta, is the educational, commercial and cultural centre of the Eastern part of India, and is the third most populous metropolitan city of India. Kolkata is a pioneer in the field of drama, arts, theatre and literature with several Nobel laureates contributing to the Kolkata culture.
Why is Kolkata known as City of Joy?
The city has earned the nickname 'city of joy' for its soulful embodiment of culture, love, mystery, respect, enthusiasm and definitely some amazing sweet delicacies. Kolkata, as it is now referred to as, is a city that upholds a perfect juxtaposition between the old world and the modern one.
What is famous in Kolkata buy?
1. The Terracotta Souvenirs.
2. The Sholapith Handicrafts
3. The Conch Shell Bangles
4. Kantha, Baluchari & Tant Sarees
5. The Mystical Dokra Craft
6. The Immortal Paintings of Kalighat
7. Sweet, Sweeter, Bengali Sweets
8. The Bamboo, Jute and the Putul
Importance of Kolkata as a tourist destination in India.
1. Kolkata has numerous beautiful monuments. You will find a lot of beautiful historical temples around "The City of Joy".
2. There is amazing public transport in Kolkata. You can find transports like taxis,Airconditioned luxury taxi,AC luxury buses and non AC busses , local trains, Metro Rail, trams, rickshaws, autos, ferries, hand pulled rickshaws etc.
3. The place has a very rich history. This place has many historical features and was once even the capital of India.
4. Kolkata has various world famous architectural structures like Howrah Bridge, Victoria Memorial, GPO. Writers Building, St. Paul's Cathedral church, Marble Palace, Kolkata High Court , National Liabrary, Fort willium , Jorasanko Thakur Bari etc.
5. Kolkata is home to world famous personalities like Rabindra Nath Tagore,Mother Teresa, Satyendra Nath Bose,Subhas Chandra Bose,Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Swami Vivekananda,etc, C.V. Raman, Amartya Sen, Satyajit Ray etc.
6. The biggest Mangrove Forest and the largest delta in the world “Sundarban” is very close to Kolkata , which is famous for The Royal Bengal tiger.
7. Durga Puja in Kolkata is amazingly interesting. During this time, the whole city is adorned with lights. People from all over the country and abroad visit the city at this time, and every night is one mad carnival where thousands of people go 'pandal-hopping' with their friends and family.
8. There are so many places to shop whether be it local markets (like Fish Market , Spice market , Flower market), malls or street markets.
Traditional Bengali food you must try when you are in Kolkata
Main Dishes:- Rice, Shukto,Daler bari diey Palang shager Ghanta,alu Posto, Mocahr Ghanto,Sona Muger Dal with Gandharaj Lebu,Begun Bhja,Fish curry–Chuno macher Batti Chachari,Rohi/Katlar jhol,Tengra macher jhal,Pabda Macher Jhal, shorshey-Parshe, Behtki Macher Paturi ( wrapped with Banana Leaf),Bhapa Hilsha,Chingri Macher Malai Curry,Tel Koi,Dahi ilish,Chital Macher Muitha,Kochi Pather Jhol, Chicken Dag Baunglow and Dub Chingri.
Desert:- Khejur amshater Chatney , Kacha Amer Chatney , Anarasher Chatney, Jal Paier Chatney. Rashogullar Payesh, Chaner Payesh , Kheer . Nalen Gurer Payesh
Popular sweets of Bengal
Mishti Doi, Bhapa Sandesh, Roshogulla, Malai Chom Chom, Pantuwa,Lengcha, Shita Bhog,Mihi Dana, Kheer Kadam,Lady kenny, Kalakand, Mohan Bhog,Labanga Latika, Pati Shapta, Raj Bhog, Chaner Jeelapi,Kalo Jaam,Darbesh, Shor Bhaja, Nikuti, Kheerer Chop.
Popular street food of Kolkata
Daber Jal (Coconut water)
Jhalmuri(made with Puffed rice-it's the base.Peanuts – roasted,Onions-raw red onions cut small,Coconut-small pieces,Potatoes boiled and cut into tiny pieces,Dried yellow peas-soaked overnight and boiled (a tough find, few vendors have it),Green chilly- cut into tiny pieces.
Telebhaja–Beguni, Phuluri, Peyaji, Alu’r chop
Phuchka and Churmur
Papri Chat / Batata Puri
Dahi Bara/ Doi Bora
Samosa or singara
Egg roll/Chicken roll
Jalebi(known as Jilipi at Kolkata)
Kachuri or Radhaballavi
Cha/Chai(‘Maati’r bhaaNr’ or Earthen Cups)